Dr. Carole Orchard
Associate Professor & Coordinator of IPHER
As the Coordinator for Interprofessional Health
Education and Research, Dr. Carole Orchard stimulates and supports
interested students, faculty, and health practitioners
to learn about interprofessional collaborative practice.
Dr. Orchard guides ideas for research associated with the field
and consults with and develops interprofessional teams in the London
area. She is faculty mentor for the London Interprofessional
Healthcare Students’ Association and received the National Health
Sciences Students’ Association Student Mentorship award in 2009.
Dr. Carole Orchard is an Associate Professor at the Arthur Labatt Family School of Nursing at The University of Western Ontario. Until assuming the role of the Coordinator for Interprofessional Education and Research, Dr. Orchard was Director of the School of Nursing at The University of Western Ontario from 2003 - 2007.
She has vast experience in academic and healthcare institution administration at the national and international level. She has obtained HealthForce Ontario’s Education/Implementation grant funding to support the development of programming for interprofessional education at Western, Fanshawe College,
and the local health agencies.
Important Works of Interest:
Orchard, C.A., King, G.A., Khalili, H., & Bezzina M.B. (2012). Assessment of interprofessional team collaboration scale (AITCS): development and testing of the instrument. Journal of Continuing Education in the Health Professions, 32(1), 58-67. DOI: 10.1002/chp.21123.
Orchard, C. (2004). Interdisciplinary collaborative practice: A proposed model for improving care. Clinical Notes, Winter.
- Orchard, C. , Curran, V., Kabene, S. (2005). Creating
a culture of interdisciplinary collaborative professional
practice. Medical Education online, 10 (11), 1-13.
- Luke, R., Solomon, P., Baptiste, S., Hall, P., Orchard, C., Rukholm, E., & Carter, L. (2009). Online interprofessional health sciences education: From theory to practice. Journal of Continuing Education in the Health Professions, 29(3), 161-167.
- Bainbridge, L. Nasmith, L., Orchard, C. & Wood, V. (2010). Competencies for interprofessional collaboration. Journal of Physical Therapy Education, 24(1), 6-11.
- Orchard, C., Didham, P., Jong, C., & Fry, J. (2010). Integrated nursing access program: An approach to prepare Aboriginal students for nursing careers. International Journal of Nursing Scholarship, (in press)
- Orchard, C. (2009). Persistent isolationist or collaborator? The nurse’s role in interprofessional collaborative practice. Journal of Nursing Management, 18, 248-257. (invited paper)
- King, F., Shaw, L., Orchard, C. & Miller, S. (2010). The interprofessional socialization and valuing scale: A tool for evaluating the shift toward collaborative care approaches in health care settings. WORK, 35, 77-85. DOI: 10.3233/WOR-2010-0959.
- Solomon, P., Baptiste, S., Hall, P., Luke, R., Orchard, C., Rukholm, E., Carter, L., King, S., & Damiani-Taraba, G., (2010). Students’ perceptions of interprofessional learning through facilitative on-line learning modules. Medical Teacher,14 (57).
- In press:
Vingili, E., Forchuk, C., Orchard, C., Shaw, L., King, G., McWilliam, C., Khalili, H., Edwards, B. (2011). Development, implementation and formative evaluation of pre-licensure workshops using participatory action research to facilitate interprofessional, client-centred mental health care. Journal of Research in Interprofessional Education (accepted awaiting publication date).
- Orchard, C., Shaw, L., & Culliton, S. (2011). Client-Centred Collaborative Care: From the patients perspective. Journal of Interprofessional Care. (accepted completing final revisions).